Monday, January 16, 2012

Sunday Market

So I thought that the normal night market was big. I need to pull new words out of my vocabulary to describe the Sunday Market. It was colossal! This market shuts down the streets, and takes over the entire center of the city, and people come in from all over to shop, sight see, and show their talents. It was one street away from my guest house, and extended across the whole center of the city from one side to the other. There were points in the evening where it was so crowded that you were flowing in rivers of people and couldn't even see the wares! Fortunately I'm taller than a lot of people here ;) and had good views of the whole event. I got there before the crowds and did most of my shopping then. After that it was pure experience. I saw dancers, exotic fruits, bizarre foods, many blind singer/performers, lady boys, every kind of ware under the sun you can imagine and many that you can't!

 One huge potato chip spiraled around a stick and coated in cheese.
I was in heaven.

Black jelly anyone?

This is a Buffalo. Who know!

Vendors and performers line the outside and insides of all the streets.
Don't just stop in the middle of the traffic flow,
it'll swoosh you right past what you want to look at!

I experienced an interesting phenomenon at this market as well. I have been traveling in this loud bustling crowd for a few hours now, and I'm used to its business. I was looking at some crafts and haggling with a vendor. Then all the sudden she stops talking. I keep talking and she's just looking at me. I get a bit confused then give up and turn around to leave. As I start walking away to the next vendor, something's wrong. The market is frozen. No one moves. Everyone is standing still, no one speaks. I freeze. What's going on?! Adrenaline going, I notice the music on the loudspeakers has changed. Apparently, every night at 6pm they play the national anthem (its less than one minute long) and every Thai stops what they are doing and listens quietly. OK so I felt like a jerk after talking and moving around through half of it before realizing what was up. Ha! Well, I'm a Farang (white traveller) so I bet they are used to that sort of thing and probably forgave me.

Here's some videos of some cool street performers:

 
I don't recognize this instrument, but it's so amazing.


I had to listen to this musician for a while. It's so entrancing.

At the end of the largest market strip there is the largest temple in the city: 
Wat Phra Singh. 

There was a special gathering there that evening which I heard was an early association with the Chinese New Year. People lit candles outside. Inside monks were chanting and tons of prayer cards hung for luck.


Each prayer card had 5 20B bills in the slots, and over the bills you could place a card for each person in your family you wanted to bring luck. I did one for my family (but I didn't want to take a picture of this part as it seemed disrespectful). Each card has the Chinese animal of your birth year on it, and you write the name of the person, their birth date, and age on it. Hanging the card brings good luck for the year to your family. So Family... you're in luck! :p

At the end of the evening I was walking back to my room for the night and I ran into some friends from Ko Phi Phi: Ram, Regga, and Matt! AMAZING! I had just prayed that day that I would find some wonderful people to spend the evening with. I had made some short connections earlier, but none lasting. Look what life brought instead :) I love serendipity. And I'm so thankful for this adventure.
Next time: Trekking to the Hill tribes, elephant riding, bamboo rafting. I'm going for the gold ladies and gentlemen!

2 comments:

  1. So glad you're having the time of your life and lady luck is shining down on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. bring some small change with you on the trek incase you want to buy any wares from the tribes or buy bannanas to feed the elephants. :D Chiang Mai is amazing!

    ReplyDelete