Tuesday, January 24, 2012

A Random Selection of Things You May See around Ubud


Today I decided to keep exploring the town. Here's a huge statue on the intersection right by where I live. Not sure who it is. I was recommended to go on a loop drive that shows off the countryside beautifully. It was true! Endless stretches of tiered rice paddies, palm trees, and of course... chickens. There is hardly a place you can go in Bali without the constant sounds of clucking and rooster screams.

Rice Terraces as far as the eye can see.

Video of the view at a Hotel.

Need to move your bed? Your family of 5? Your 20 foot bamboo pole?
You're whole business worth of Sarongs?
No problem, throw it on the motor-bike. 

 My favorite fruit from Ecuador, the Chirimolla.
I found it in juice! This resides in my fridge now.

Geckos!!!

The sidewalks here are treacherous. Each panel is removable, with sewer underneath.
They often move and shift under your feet.  Sometimes they are broken or gone and you have to walk around them. I sometimes worry that the break  might happen under my feet. None have...

More offerings.

These are street decorations to celebrate a temple that is having its 45 year anniversary. People flock to the temple nightly for weeks, make sacrifices, dance, sing, and pray till 6am. On the last day it will end with a procession through town on foot. Those poles are bamboo, decorated with palm and banana fronds woven into intricate shapes and wrapped with cloth. Guess how they got there? Motorbike.

Closeup of the bamboo decoration.

I found a little warung (small outdoor family restaurant)
that sold me sate with greens and coconut rice for  12,000 Rp ($1.30)
The arrangement went like this:
We couldn't communicate so I pointed at what I wanted
and people stared at me while I ate. Ha!

A goat cheese mushroom quesadilla from Clear Cafe.
Unlike in Thailand, when you order foreign dishes at the touristy food places here,
they actually know how to make them.

Outside of Clear Cafe. Indoors is always shoe-less in Bali. The people here are very neat and tidy, whenever you go into a place you will almost always come out to find your shoes organized in a different spot than where you left them. This even happens to me at my house. My neighbors must do it! So I've started putting my shoes where they want them haha!

Beautiful mosaic work can be found all over the stone
walk-ways of family compounds.

This fruit bat has a 3 foot wingspan.
Woah, look at his balls.

Everyday merchandise in Bali:
Shadow Puppets and Penis Bottle Openers.

Sense of Humor... Ya, Your Mom

 The Balinese often dress their statues as well.

Men gathering at a temple and working on a project together.
The community does everything together.
Everyone has a role and a place in their community.

Young guys practicing Gamelan.

Walking around town you pass by performances every night.

Spiral Didgeridoo! Circular breathing is hard.
This is not that common here, but I thought it was awesome to see. 

3 comments:

  1. these were amazing. Thanks for taking time to sahre them with us. I feel like I am traveling with you....almost.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you're enjoying them! I love documenting and sharing my travels with my loved ones. It's so much fun and it helps me process all that I'm seeing and experiencing.

      Delete
  2. Didn't I tell you they do everything on motorcycle? And I forgot about ordering American dishes and getting something completely unrecognizable - when in Rome eat like the Romans do, right?

    ReplyDelete