Sunday, January 8, 2012

The first day in Phuket town.

I got in late after 25 hours of traveling at 2am Thai time. Even though my hotel driver forgot to pick me up, I had done my research and easily arranged a metered taxi to my hotel: Naiyang Cottage. It was comfortable and airconditioned, a luxury I am forgoing for a while. I ended up catching the airport bus into Phuket town the next day. It seemed surprisingly dead and I found out that most places are closed Sunday. Fortunately I met someone randomly at an internet cafe who directed me to the On On hotel, a budget in for travelers. It was very comfortable even with just a fan and a shared bathroom... only 180B!!! I met someone and traveled down main Phuket Road:
This was much more interesting and full of people. Everyone rides scooters here. There was a market full of food, goods, and a cobra tamer!

Right after this shot the guy walked over to the cobra, reached out and touched its head as it was alert, and pushed it to the ground. Crazy. Later that night I made friends with a scooter taxi and he drove me to the night market:
The night market was a half a mile long!!! Thankfully I was able to find a waterproof watch with an alarm on it for $4. Nice.










It's the 9th now, I just got to Ko Phi Phi and booked an overnight camping trip to Maya Bay for the full moon, thanks to the suggestion of some cool ladies I met on the boat, Alexia and Carolina. Here's a pic of arriving at Ko Phi Phi on the right. I'll post more later, off to explore this amazing island! Boat for Maya bay leaves in 3 hours. See ya!

9 comments:

  1. I feel like I'm there! What wonders! This blog is beautiful I'll be following it fondly! :) love you be safe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 180 B = ? USD

    Looks like an exciting time, definitely keep the info and pics rolling as you are able.

    -Galen

    P.S.
    Do they use chopsticks over there? This has been a debate at many a Thai restaurant outing for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey! athena it's your cousin michael i've been following your blogs i've been sharing the first three w/ my mother, i'll let my sister heather know sometime soon, have a fun adventure all out there! =), safe exploring, laterz

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful adventure. I look forward to each new addition to it blog. Love Aunt Carol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Galen! 100 Bat = 3 US dollars. So, 180 is about $5.60? And to answer your chopstick question. The Thai eat their food with a spoon and fork, but if they are eating Chinese food, they use chops sticks. Noodle dishes tend to come with chop sticks. :D I visited Thailand before. -Serena

    Athena - super fun! Ko Phi Phi is supposed to be one of the most beautiful Islands in the country!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Make sure you go to PHI PHI (pronounced pee pee) Island - the best snorkeling evaaaaar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OooooOOOOoooo looks nice, I like the water shot. =D

    ReplyDelete
  8. most beautiful pix. i love, love it.
    oxox
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  9. To back up Serena's comment, ya spoon and fork! Occasional chopsticks are presented :)

    ReplyDelete