Thursday, January 24, 2013

First days in Rio

Brasil!

I arrived in Brazil after a long sleepless night of traveling. Arriving here was like stepping into another world. I felt nervous and uncertain, like maybe I shouldn´t be here. It´s easy to be overwhelmed at first when the simplest things require overcoming the barriers of language and cultural expectations. Studying portuguese was the best idea that I had before this trip. That, and the amazing kindness of the Brazilian people have saved me! I find myself surviving each moment with intuition and a handful of portuguese verbs and phrases. Truly, I am like a child.

I was fortunate enough to meet a very nice girl named Naiana who spoke some english. She helped me contact my host Roberta with her cellphone and overcome the language gap so I could find her house! Driving through the neighborhoods was a cultural shock. Many things are different here. I didn´t take many pictures yet because I didn´t want to look unawaredly touristy or like a target. But as I am here longer I am more comfortable with how and when to do this. 

Roberta and I :)
We have been speaking in Portuguese the entire time, to the acompaniment of much laughter and patience. Roberta is so welcoming and friendly, I couldn´t have asked for a nicer first host. She made me dinner the first night I arrived, helped me navigate the extensive bus system, lent me her aunts phone for the time of my stay, and offered many more small kindnesses from a big heart.

My little internet station, where I´m currently sitting with Roberta while I write this post,
and watching a novela that translates to "The Color of Sin".  

 A casa da Roberta!
That couch folds out to be my bed.
I´ll be here 5 nights, thanks Roberta!

When I look around I realize how rich we are in the United States. The living conditions of many here are very humble. I have been hearing from people how dangerous it is here. My impresison is that yes, of course there are dangerous areas here, but most people are just people living their lives, loving, hurting, laughing, and striving just like anywhere else. I refuse to be afraid here, of course I stay aware always, and intelligent about my choices.(don´t worry, family) We in the US are raised with a culture of fear of many things, especially ones we dont understand. There is much to learn in Brazil. I´m thankful!


 I stopped into one of the many food shops at the market and bought esfiha,
which is basically like a filo pastry full of cheese and other things, yum!

 The market in Saara.
There are many walking streets full of vendors and shoppers in the center of downtown Rio.

 Barra da Tijuca


 Eu amo a praia! 
Brazil, thank you for loving and celebrating the beauty of the human body!
There is an abundance of beauty here, in both the people and the places.

 Aaaah, my 4th summer in 2 years. Life is good.

 What was my first purchase in Brasil
(besides a bus pass...)
a thong bikini of course.

 On the bus ride home from the beach we drove straight through the Sambodromo,
where Andelaine, Rachel, and I will be sitting in the blue section on the ground
to watch the biggest show in the world: Rio´s Carnaval!

Roberta and her friends Sergio and Natasha.
Between us we had four currencies on hand!

We went to a Japanese restaurant where you could get all you can eat for 30 reias ($15) 
but that deal applied only to women... sorry Sergio! This is a perfect example of the complex magic of a simple meeting in another country. Arriving here was a strange mixture of intuition, explanation with limited understanding, and countless half asked half understood questions to strangers. After waiting in the wrong place to meet them for 45 minutes as the sun was setting, I reconstructed a past conversation with a small hint from a text to go to a mall where I was told I could find a Japanese restaurant. I went, found out there was one on the 3rd floor. I had no idea if they were there and if they weren´t how the hell I would get home. Seeing Robertas face was like finding water in a desert!

Until next time... tchao!

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are really enjoying yourself. Happy Trails to you. Love Auntie Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I loved this post! So fun! Thank you, Roberta, for taking care of my sister! She is so special! I love you, Athena! Take some pictures of the food for me, that's my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks very nice. Great that things worked well with your host! How is the temperature? How about the ocean?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hot here all the time. Im glad I brought a lot of changes of clothes! The beach is incredible and the water is very comfortable to stay in all day.

      Delete
  5. SO excited to read all your posts and I can't believe you will be in the blue section! GROUND LEVEL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it's rediculous!!! I'll take tons of pics and video I promise!

      Delete
  6. Wow, you are brave! Enjoy it! And I'm glad I got to send you off.

    ReplyDelete